The National Weather Service calls the storm “life-threatening,” “once-in-a-generation,” and “crippling”. A blizzard warning remains in effect until Christmas morning. The storm is tied to an exceptionally intense mid-latitude storm or “bomb cyclone”. That storm was almost entirely a ground blizzard, with little snowfall. January 1977 was the third snowiest month in the city’s history, with more than 90 inches falling.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.