September delivered seven named storms, headlined by Hurricane Fiona and Hurricane Ian. But 2022′s overall activity ended up somewhat below average, largely because of the season’s defining storm. It only takes one storm to change a season’s outlook. Fiona reached Category 4 on Sept. 22 southwest of Bermuda. The storm battered coastal towns, sweeping away homes and peeling off roofs. A pressure reading on the coast of 933 millibars marked the lowest pressure on record for any storm to strike Canada’s shores.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.