“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime thing,” says Carole Higa. Highway officials warned of $1,000 fines for stopping or walking in another section of road near the volcano. The National Park Service has banned drone flights within Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Helicopter tours costing upward of $500 per seat were booked for days in advance. Magma breached the surface of Mauna Loa late Sunday night, its first eruption since 1984.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.