More than 16,000 flights were canceled from Thursday to Christmas Day. Almost two-thirds of the U.S. population was under a wind chill warning or wind chill advisory. Large portions of the mid-South and Carolinas dealt with managed power cuts to prevent grid failure. At least 25 deaths occurred around Buffalo, making this one of the city’s deadliest modern-day weather events. Casper, Wyo., saw its lowest temperature in recorded history on Thursday morning. In Miami, a high of 50 was its coldest on record for the date.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.