The town of Zhilinda recorded its lowest January temperature on record Tuesday. Temperatures have fallen up to 50 degrees (27.8 Celsius) below normal amid this frigid siege. Such cold has become uncommon in recent decades because of human-caused climate change. Extreme cold is expected to focus over the eastern half of Russia over the next few days. Computer models project temperatures as low as minus-60 Celsius. Olenek’s low of minus-76.7 degrees (minus-60.4 Celsius) was the coldest at that location since 1959.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.