The deaths were found in homes and on the street, an official says. The disaster may go down as the worst in the region’s history, officials say. First responders had to be rescued during the storm; 911 center nearly had to shut down after its fire-suppression system burst. Buffalo Mayor Joel Poloncarz says the storm was “as bad as anyone’s ever seen”. More than 175,000 people remained without power across the U.S. as of Sunday morning. The storm has snarled traffic and travel plans over the Christmas holiday.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.