“You need to be preparing for what could be the Monterey Peninsula island,” sheriff says. Evacuation orders are in effect along the Salinas River valley from the coast to 20 miles inland. Parts of the Pacific Coast Highway are already closed; the Peninsula is surrounded by mountains.
More from WeatherMore posts in Weather »
- Widespread freezing forecasted before a Tuesday with more sunshine
- China just had the lowest temperature on record, minus 63 degrees.
- Developing storm will bring tornado hazard to the Gulf Coast and snow to the north
- How Turkey was covered by a cloud in the shape of a saucer on Thursday
- A new comet has emerged, but you’ll need to put forth some effort to notice it.