The first bill the House GOP passed Monday specifically targets the IRS. Republicans are continuing to flirt with defunding other agencies, including ones that enforce the law and protect the public. House Republicans recently gained a concession in negotiations over Kevin McCarthy’s quest to become speaker. The House of Representatives voted to defund the IRS and proposed cuts to defense and DHS spending. Some conservatives have also promoted defunding the FBI. “Defund the police” was a hot-button issue last summer, but quickly faded into the background.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.