The House is poised to vote Thursday on the Respect for Marriage Act. The bill would enshrine marriage equality in federal law. It would also grant protections to same-sex and interracial couples. President Biden has said ensuring federal protections for marriage equality is his top legislative priority. Respect for Marriage Act would repeal the 1996 Defense of Marriage Act and define marriage as between one man and one woman. It would also require that same-sex couples be considered married in any state as long as the marriage was valid in the state where it was performed.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.