McCarthy endured 15 ballots — the most in a speaker election since the Civil War. He made major concessions and dealt with ugly scenes overnight on the House floor. McCarthy now leads a fractured, unwieldy conference in a way that might make him regret ever taking the job. Just one member can move to oust McCarthy if they don’t like what he’s doing. McCarthy says he’s “1,000 percent” certain he won’t be booted from the job over the next two years.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.