The Office of Congressional Ethics (OCE) was established in 2008 after Democrats regained control of the House. The OCE is an independent body tasked with investigating complaints about sitting members of Congress. Both the OCE and the formal House Ethics Committee are bipartisan. In 2017, Republicans voted to subjugate the OCE to the House Ethics Committee. On Tuesday, Republicans again voted to subvert an independent ethics body. This time, the aim is to make it harder for OCE staff to do its work.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.