The House GOP has shown itself to still suffer from the incoherence and ungovernability that has been central to Republican politics, with rare exception, since 2013. The four-days of public humiliation that McCarthy endured through 13 failed votes to pick a new speaker laid bare the challenge. McCarthy argues that the GOP lacks a path to a national majority without keeping the two wings of Republican politics — the election-denying populists and the independent-courting moderates — inside the tent. The party’s high-dollar donor class find themselves at odds with the priorities of grass roots donors.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.