McCarthy failed to earn the House speaker’s gavel on Tuesday and Wednesday. The 20 Republicans who voted against McCarthy were nearly all hardcore Trump loyalists. Some, such as Matt Gaetz, have made fealty to the former president their entire political brand. None of the floor speeches Tuesday invoked Trump or suggested his support of McCarthy was in any way meaningful or persuasive. Marc Short, former chief of staff to Vice President Mike Pence, said Trump’s opinion on this issue is inconsequential for most Republicans. “We’ll see what happens,” Trump said when asked directly if he was sticking with McCarthy.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.