House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell have a nearly 25-year age gap. Their colleagues describe them as polar opposites, with one a glad-handing leader and the other a master strategist. But their ability to work together takes on new significance as high-stakes fiscal showdowns loom. McConnell used to meet weekly with Boehner and Ryan, but now meets less frequently with McCarthy. Colleagues say McCarthy and McConnell respect each other, despite their differences. A former Senate aide says McConnell doesn’t need a close personal connection to work well with his counterparts.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.