The House is wrapping up its sixth attempt to elect a speaker. On the sixth ballot, Hakeem Jeffries earned his 1,273rd lifetime vote for the position. Jeffries passed the lifetime total of former House speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), 1,269 votes. McCarthy received votes in both of the speaker contests in 2015. The lowest-ranking party nominee on our chart above is North Carolina Democrat Claude Kitchin. McCarthy needs only 80 votes to pass Michel’s total.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.