McCarthy fails in three rounds of balloting to earn enough votes to capture the speakership. Hard-right GOP holdouts had not been swayed, bringing opposition to 20. The House adjourned without a speaker on Republicans’ first day back in the majority. Kevin McCarthy was unable to clinch the 218 votes needed to become speaker.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.