Holman Rule allows lawmakers to reduce or eliminate federal agency programs and slash individual employees’ salaries. The GOP is touting the revived measure as a critical check on the Biden administration. Democrats warn that Republicans could abuse the power to lessen federal workers’ salaries or fire them outright. The Holman Rule is named for a House member who proposed it nearly 150 years ago. After reviving it in 2017, Republicans had little success in using the rule. Backers on Monday said reinstating the rule would provide an important check on the federal government.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.