The House adjourned Wednesday evening after a raucous scramble as Democrats tried to block Republicans from approving the motion to adjourn. The drama capped another contentious day in which Republican Kevin McCarthy again failed three times to get the necessary 218 votes to take the speaker’s gavel. McCarthy remains confident he can get to 218, stressing Tuesday that he needed to win over 11 detractors. But a person familiar with the negotiations said Wednesday evening “real movement is happening”. Some of those detractors are more “interested in getting a deal done,” the person said.
More from PoliticsMore posts in Politics »
- Supreme Court slowly returns to the bench to issue rulings.
- In what ways was Kari Lake a poor choice? Such a terrible.
- The Supreme Court requests comment from the Biden administration on a social media lawsuit
- McCarthy promised to stop Jeffries from appointing Schiff and Swalwell to the intelligence panel.
- Kyrsten Sinema’s Arizona Senate seat is now occupied by Ruben Gallego.