Frida Ghitis: Heat pumps are the best chance we have to phase out fossil fuels as a means of heating. They could set the stage for a climate policy revolution, she says. Fifteen states and more than 100 cities have plans to encourage heat pump installation. The Energy Department is investing $250 million to increase production of heat pumps. Heat pumps simply move heat from outside air or ground inside, even in frigid winter months. They are extraordinarily efficient and can generate up to 5.5 units of heat per unit of electricity.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.