Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin collapsed on the field after hitting his chest into a receiver’s shoulder. His heart stopped, and first responders used an AED to shock his heart back into rhythm. Without immediate treatment, ventricular fibrillation is fatal. Commotio cordis is extremely rare in football; only three cases have been documented. Studies using animal models found that time to defibrillation was the essential determining factor. National Athletic Trainers’ Association encourages youth baseball and ice hockey organizations to use softer baseballs and pucks.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.