Travelers from China must show a negative test for the coronavirus starting Jan. 5. The move might delay transmission of a new variant, but is probably of limited practical use. Omicron coronavirus is circulating in China, where elderly are under-vaccinated and population lacks immunity. An aggressive new offspring of omicron, XBB.1.5, is taking hold in New York and Northeast. Tighter scrutiny of passengers coming from China is a short-term measure that can buy time.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.