McCarthy fell short of winning the necessary majority because 19 and then 20 members of his own party refused to vote for him. McCarthy deluded himself into believing it was possible to buy off hard-liners, who could call a snap vote to toss out the speaker. Today’s House GOP is a far different animal than the Class of 1994, who won their first majority in four decades. Gone are the days when the party would measure its accomplishments by laws it passed. Chaos was their brand; today’s Republicans seek to wreak havoc.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.