David Eastman is a member of right-wing group the Oath Keepers. Alaska’s disloyalty clause bars from office anyone who “aids or belongs” to a group that advocates overthrowing U.S. government. Barring Americans from elected office because of political affiliations could violate First Amendment. She says it would not be an endorsement of democracy if such a disqualification prevented Wasilla from picking a representative. Ghitis asks whether obstruction of an official proceeding is punishable by a 20-year sentence.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.