Eric Topol: The world has let its guard down on covid-19. He says the new dominant form, XBB.1.5, shows the virus is always evolving to spread more quickly. That should serve as a wake-up call for the U.S. to re-invest in pandemic monitoring. XBB.1.5 comprises well beyond 75 percent of infections in New York, Connecticut, New Jersey and Massachusetts. Hospitalizations have risen among seniors to levels only the first omicron wave surpassed. Americans can take some comfort in their combined immunity from infections, reinfections, vaccinations and boosters.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.