Germany’s refusal to approve transfer of heavy battle tanks to Ukraine opened first serious crack in NATO’s solid front. Germany has given Ukraine more military aid than any country but the U.S. and Britain. Germany’s Chancellor Olaf Scholz executed abrupt about-face after Russia invaded Ukraine. Germany’s Defense Minister Urs Scholz is waiving sound strategy on the altar of political calculation, writes Andrew Bostock. Germany’s Leopard 2 tanks are far more numerous than British Challenger 2 tanks, he says. Several European countries with Leopards in their arsenals have signaled they are ready to ship them to Ukraine.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.