When discussing hot-button issues, it’s easy to score points with the respective bases on the left and right. What’s more challenging is standing up for your beliefs while empathizing with those who disagree. A good first step would be avoiding some of the most accusatory and divisive language. John Sutter: Opponents of same-sex marriage should avoid labels like “bigotry,” “ignorance” and “hateful” Language that opponents should avoid: claiming they support genital mutilation, accusing them of being “groomers” or leading children into subversive lifestyles.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.