Frida Ghitis: Electoral Count Act reforms are splendid Christmas gift for anyone who cherishes democracy. She says Congress should enhance criminal penalties for threats against poll workers and consider amending obstruction laws. Both parties should support creating a cause of action so that the legislative branch can sue to enforce subpoenas. Congress should designate joint sessions of Congress as National Security Special Events, akin to the State of the Union address. President Abraham Lincoln used the 1807 Insurrection Act during the Civil War; Presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson invoked it to enforce desegregation in the South.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.