Most of the airtime is taken up by pro-regime and pro-war messaging. The leitmotifs are always the same: Russia is surrounded by enemies, the West wants to dismember it. Frida Ghitis: Putin took a long time and put in a lot of effort to dismantle media freedom in Russia. She says he began by seizing Media Most, Russia’s largest private media holding, in 2000. Russian society met the destruction of independent media mostly with silence, she says.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.