Scientists have struggled mightily to confront threats to human health. Attempts to discover how it all began and why remain skimpy and inconclusive. One school of thought is that the coronavirus jumped from bats to humans, perhaps with an intermediate animal host. Another is that research on bat coronaviruses at the Wuhan Institute of Virology, including dangerous “gain of function” experiments, resulted in a laboratory accident or inadvertent leak. We hope China’s leaders should end the stonewalling and open the doors. China made no known effort to go back and look for additional early cases from November and December, which might have provided important clues.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- Free speech is when you pay me, to be quite clear.
- Why a true criminal justice reform may require more police
- Gee, thanks for taking this small effort to safeguard my same-sex marriage.
- China won’t be able to continue with its “zero covid” policy indefinitely.
- Sam Bankman-Fried is illiterate. That reveals all to us.