Nancy Pelosi has a right to express solidarity with democratic Taiwan as she sees fit, says Julian Zelizer. He says it's hard to imagine any circumstances under which it would have been appropriate for Biden to muse publicly about whether Pelosi should visit Taiwan. China has been taking a more aggressive military posture in the Taiwan Strait, he says. Zelizer: U.S. can ill afford an avoidable military showdown with China, much less one that might begin with Chinese planes forcing down a plane carrying Ms. Pelosi, Zelizer says. The next couple of months will include such sensitive events as a phone call between Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- Opinion Trump’s tired justification
- Opinion The army is back at the center of Pakistan’s politics
- Opinion Congress gets to see Trump’s tax returns. It shouldn’t have taken so long.
- Opinion Forget about Kari Lake’s loss. Here’s the biggest sign of Arizona’s moderation.
- Opinion In Belarus, a champion of democracy suffers solitary confinement