Sen. Joe Manchin III (D-W.Va.) made sure his priorities were taken care of in the deal he cut to revive the Democrats’ reconciliation bill. Julian Zelizer: Arizona Democrat Kyrsten Sinema should also take care of her state’s needs before she gives her assent. Zelizer says border control and battery research funding are key issues for Sinemas. He says she needs to regain support among Arizona Democrats if she intends to seek her party's nomination again, but that support cannot come at the cost of her well-earned reputation for independence. It makes no sense for her to become a Democratic darling if doing so drives away the moderate independents who elected her to begin with, he says.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- Free speech is when you pay me, to be quite clear.
- Why a true criminal justice reform may require more police
- Gee, thanks for taking this small effort to safeguard my same-sex marriage.
- China won’t be able to continue with its “zero covid” policy indefinitely.
- Sam Bankman-Fried is illiterate. That reveals all to us.