Ending “zero covid” in the world’s most populous nation is long overdue. If rushed without safeguards, it could result in more than 1.5 million preventable deaths. China has shunned Western-produced vaccines and is unlikely to accept direct U.S. assistance. China’s goal must be to reduce severe illness and death. This is a tall order in a country where only 6.6 percent of those 60 and older receive influenza shots. The government could encourage the young and healthy to return to normal activities while emphasizing the elderly are most at risk.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.