Germany and Europe are affected by Ukraine war in ways the U.S. is not. She says refugees, more than 1 million by now, are visible everywhere; schools are struggling to accommodate their children. Inflation in Germany, which rose from 4.9 percent in January, to 10 percent now, is among the highest in advanced economies. Francesco Iacchino: The illusion that our relationship with Russia amounted to a milder version of the Cold War is over. Germany, as the most powerful engine of Europe’s economy, will see its economic effects proliferate, he writes. Our national psychology is undergoing a profound transformation, he says.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.