Donald Trump’s opponents fear a repeat of the 2016 GOP primary, which produced an anti-Trump majority. Here are four speculative doomsday scenarios that aren’t likely to happen. If Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis fades, the 2012 primary could repeat itself instead. DeSantis could look strong in the early months of the primary, only to take on water as the campaign wears on. Scandals could emerge, his conservative record would look like a liability with swing voters. Republicans could slide into their own version of the 2016 Democratic primary.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.