Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger says runoffs are a logistical nightmare and an intrusion on Thanksgiving. He didn’t mention the strongest reason: They dilute African American voting power. Georgia created this system in 1964 in response to a surge of Black voter registration. Georgia’s controversial voting law worked well for this year’s elections. Lowering the threshold needed to win outright to 45 percent is a good idea, they say. Writers: We don’t think it’s fair to require Americans to vote twice to make their voices heard.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.