Pop culture has become too skeptical and depressed about the future of humanity to envision bold moves into the unknown. “Lightyear” and “Strange World” are representative of this tendency. Glumness isn’t just confined to the screen; it’s spread to would-be visionaries such as Elon Musk. James Cameron’s “Avatar: The Way of Water” is explicitly anti-human in an off-handed sort of way. A brief glimpse of a lesbian couple in “Lightyear” incurred the wrath of conservatives. Liberals, on the other hand, were happily struck by the film’s diverse setting of Avalonia.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.