Istanbul Mayor Ekrem Imamoglu was sentenced to two years and seven months in prison. The younger and energetic mayor clearly poses a real threat to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Erdogan has always been a zero-sum politician willing to resort to almost any means to neutralize his rivals. If a higher court upholds the ban, the public is likely to react with anger. Erdogan is also playing a skillful hand in geopolitics in ways that he hopes will secure his hold.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.