Ukrainians will celebrate Christmas on Dec. 25, the same as Western Catholics and Protestants. That would place many of Ukraine’s Orthodox faithful at odds with other members of Eastern Orthodoxy. A recent poll shows that the number of Ukrainians willing to adopt the Western date has risen. Kirill gives Putin a valuable sheen of legitimacy. Russia’s propagandists mock Kyiv’s army as a collection of “fighters against Orthodoxy”. The rival Ukrainian Orthodox Church has gone from acknowledging Moscow’s supremacy just a few years ago to breaking off all ties in May.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.