New world disorder brought about by Russian invasion of Ukraine, rise of China, Iran’s nuclear program, North Korea’s out-of-control nuclear and missile programs. We are struggling to define the post-Ukraine war world even as the war itself rages on. Harry Truman’s policy of containment was to stop the spread of communism without risking conflict with Moscow. The cornerstone of his strategy was to forge alliances with like-minded nations, including former enemies Italy, West Germany and Japan. American multilateralism produced both the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (GATT) and NATO.
More from OpinionsMore posts in Opinions »
- According to the GOP tax proposal, you will pay more while the wealthy will pay less.
- We should leave the covid origin debate to the experts.
- More than ever, NATO is cohesive. Then again, what about those tanks?
- Drug manufacturers may have widened the availability of naloxone. How come they didn’t?
- DeSantis reveals himself by preventing the offering of an AP Black studies course.