“This is not a war on merit,” superintendent says in letter to Fairfax County community. Some schools were months late in telling students they had been named “commended students”. The National Merit Scholarship Corp. recognizes the highest scorers on a national standardized test. Virginia Gov. Josh Youngkin backs legislation that would prohibit withholding recognition, awards or scholarship eligibility. Students are typically notified of their commended-student status in September so they can mark the distinction on college applications. Some schools have said their failures were errors that they would rectify in the future.
More from EducationMore posts in Education »
- A fresh book is what students crave. Librarians are unable to purchase them due to limitations.
- In light of criticism of the college savings scheme, the Maryland 529 board chair resigns.
- Overdoses among young people in Montgomery County rose 77% in 2022.
- What does a college education cost? States begin requiring institutions to provide the data
- Harvard reverses course and provides a scholarship to an opponent of Israel