The decision is the latest volley in Gov. Ron DeSantis’s long-running war on what he considers to be overly “woke” curriculum. Florida’s legislature has enacted laws limiting how teachers can talk about subjects including race. It was not clear exactly what in the new AP class runs afoul of those limitations. The AP African American studies class is being piloted in about 60 public high schools across the country. It’s the first new course offering from the College Board since 2014. Details of the class will be posted for interested parties to see in spring 2024 and will be available to all schools in 2025.
More from EducationMore posts in Education »
- A fresh book is what students crave. Librarians are unable to purchase them due to limitations.
- In light of criticism of the college savings scheme, the Maryland 529 board chair resigns.
- The head of Fairfax Public Schools promises to address award notification delays.
- Overdoses among young people in Montgomery County rose 77% in 2022.
- What does a college education cost? States begin requiring institutions to provide the data