The Education Department’s Office for Civil Rights is investigating the Granbury Independent School District. The district removed from library shelves at least 130 books, three-quarters of which featured LGBTQ characters or themes. These actions violate Title IX, which prohibits discrimination in public schools on the basis of sex. The Granbury school district in Texas is being investigated for violating Title IX. The Education Department has declined to comment on the investigation. Experts say the argument advanced by the Texas ACLU is unprecedented, but may stand up well to federal scrutiny and in court if the investigation develops into a lawsuit.
More from EducationMore posts in Education »
- A fresh book is what students crave. Librarians are unable to purchase them due to limitations.
- In light of criticism of the college savings scheme, the Maryland 529 board chair resigns.
- The head of Fairfax Public Schools promises to address award notification delays.
- Overdoses among young people in Montgomery County rose 77% in 2022.
- What does a college education cost? States begin requiring institutions to provide the data